Axiom Veterinary Laboratories are the largest provider of veterinary diagnostic testing for livestock in the UK. They offer a comprehensive range of very competitively priced, quality assured tests and services for both diagnostic testing and the CHeCS programmes.
What are the main benefits of the Axiom Cattle Health Scheme?
- Waiting for results can be an anxious time so we aim to get the results to you as quickly as possible – in most cases within five working days.
- Very competitively priced tests.
- 50% discount on the membership fee for the first year if paying by direct debit.
- Veterinary reporting and advice from a vet with over 20 years of experience in cattle health schemes.
- Ease of sampling using our herd testing packs and barcode labels.
- CHeCS licensed.
We aim to simplify the process to achieve herd accreditation and to help minimise the impact of infectious diseases in herds. We do so as part of a team, with you and your vet, and provide detailed, easy to follow lab reports backed up with our experienced veterinary advice.
It is easy to join, or transfer to us, by completing an online or paper application form from your vet.
What diseases can I test for through the Axiom Cattle Health Scheme?
- BVD virus, Johne’s disease, IBR, Leptospira Hardjo and Neospora.
- Herds can test for any combination of these diseases and have their herd’s TB status accredited.
Why should I test through a cattle health scheme?
- Access discounted rates for testing.
- Keep all of your herd’s results together to gain certification to demonstrate to others the health status of your herd.
- Reduced frequency of TB testing for herds in the High Risk Area. Keepers whose herds are accredited under a CHeCS approved TB scheme can be rewarded for their commitment to managing their TB risks. The government will allow herds accredited at CHeCS TB score 1 and above to undergo annual, rather than six- monthly, herd testing.
Herd health status is becoming increasingly important for a number of reasons
- Helps improve herd efficiency and profitability through controlling infectious diseases and by preventing their entry.
- There is an increasing demand for breeding cattle from herds shown to be free of certain infectious diseases.
- The cattle industry is increasing the drive to improve the health status of herds in this country. Many European countries have already eradicated BVD virus and some also IBR virus.
- A number of breed societies require their members to be testing for certain diseases through a CHeCS cattle health scheme.
- Most milk processors now require their suppliers to have a control plan in place for Johne’s disease. Health scheme programmes provide a structured way to achieve better control of this disease.
Axiom Farm Diagnostics
The complete range of farm animal diagnostic tests are available including:
- Blood tests for antibodies (eg BVD, Johne’s, IBR), biochemistry, haematology, trace elements (same day test results for biochemistry, haematology & trace elements).
- PCR tests – eg pneumonia viruses, Johne’s disease, BVD virus.
- Parasitology – eg worm egg counts, liver fluke, lungworm.
- Bacterial cultures – eg Salmonella, CLA.
- Milk tests – antibodies (eg BVD virus, IBR, Lepto), PCR or culture for mastitis bacteria.
- Histopathology – eg on PM cases.
- MV Monitored Free sheep health scheme.
Our focus is on fast turnaround times and providing interpreted reports and advice from experienced farm animal veterinary pathologists.
Find out more information on the diseases, the testing required and an application form Axiom Cattle Health Scheme